Career & Technical Education (CTE)
The mission of the Career & Technical Education department is to integrate core academics with 21st century skills that develop and empower problem solvers through critical and analytical thinking.
- Continued implementation of the Rigorous Curriculum Design model
- Improve instructional practice through the use of embedded formative assessment. Investigate and implement effective strategies and best practices related to formative assessment within course teams
- Continued development of common assessments through crosstown collaboration
- Continued growth on the Perkins CTE Federal Assessment
- Foster opportunities for teachers to engage in discipline specific training and in the collaboration of best practices
The Career & Technical Education department is a consortium of the Business & Finance, Family & Consumer Sciences and Technology & Engineering departments. As comprehensive, standards-based instructional programs the focus of CTE is to enable students to demonstrate individual creativity and achievement through the use of advanced technologies and 21st century skills. Through the use of Mac and PC computer labs, authentic pre-schools, culinary labs, 3D printers and manufacturing labs, CTE students cultivate skills that improve the lives of individuals, families, and communities. CTE students routinely participate in problem-solving activities that reflect current workplace practices and develop career awareness, time management and communication skills. In collaboration with School Counseling and Advisory, students will work to establish a four-year Student Success Plan (SSP) based on their career aspirations and interests. The SSP guides students toward skill development that aligns with college and career preparation. Specific career clusters and their associated pathways are highlighted below.
Business & Finance
Pathways for Business & Finance and Communications
Family & Consumer Science
Pathways for Health Sciences & Human Services, Hospitality & Tourism, and Manufacturing Logistics
Technology & Engineering
Pathways for Communications, Manufacturing Logistics, and CTE STEM